fbpx

Mold In Your Home [The Health Hazard Edition]

By October 3, 2018Mold
Mold In Your Home

Mold In Your Home

Mold in your home is a natural occurrence around the world, but one case where it is decidedly unnatural is in your home.

One of the major reasons that homeowners are concerned about mold during your home is indirect—the fact that it is an indicator of unwanted moisture somewhere in the structure or another part of your home.

Another issue is the fact that active mold damages any structure that it grows on, potentially impacting the integrity of your home if left unchecked.

The final, and most frightening impact of mold in your home is the fact that it can potentially lead to health issues for you and your family. Science is still unraveling the exact relationship between these, but the correlation is clear.

Be Informed

While mold can be hazardous, there’s also a bit of misinformation going on about it. For example, you may hear a lot of talk about “toxic mold” in the home, sometimes using this as a universal label. This isn’t true, as not all mold produce toxins.

The Real Name For Black Mold Is?

There are a few species can cause severe health issues if their spores are ingested. The most well-known variant of this is  Stachybotrys chartarum, also known as black mold. Black mold is especially problematic because it is most commonly seen in flood-damaged buildings.

As a result, families who are already dealing with severe water damage may come home to a place that is uninhabitable until the mold is removed. To put things in perspective, around 50 species out of the 100,000 types of mold out there truly have the “toxic” label.

The Physical Symptoms of Black Mold

Generally, basic indicators that you may be dealing with black mold and similar toxic molds in your home include respiratory responses from mold spores entering the sinuses and lungs. For example, you may encounter chronic sneezing and coughing, as well as irritation of the mucus membranes of the nose and throat. Other symptoms include:

  • Rashes
  • Chronic fatigue
  • Eye irritation
  • Recurring serious headaches

The symptoms can become even more serious if left unchecked, ranging from nausea and vomiting to bleeding in the lungs and nose. While this is the extreme end of the spectrum, mold doesn’t have to be toxic in order to cause health issues for you. Mold, all types of mold, is a common allergen for many people, and exposure to it can lead to allergic reactions that range from:

  • Chest tightness
  • Coughing
  • Congestion
  • Sore throat
  • Breathing difficulty

None of these issues may be particularly life-threatening, but ask anyone with serious allergies what it’s like to try and get through your day while dealing with these symptoms. Compound this with having to deal with it every day in your home, with no relief in sight for your issues.

Mold And Asthma Doesn’t Mix

Special attention should also be given to people with asthma. If an asthmatic person has a mold allergy and is exposed to it, they could easily have an asthma attack.

Moist Areas Are Usually The Problem

Mold, by nature, requires moisture to survive. This can make it difficult to pinpoint because there are many different areas that moisture can develop in the house.

We already mentioned floods and water damage, but anywhere, from naturally moist areas like bathrooms to common leak areas like foundation cracks and leaky gutters, can be a potential haven for mold.

The issues with dealing with mold in your home are twofold. Not only are there the many different ways that mold can impact your health as we’ve mentioned, but there’s also the fact that it can be very difficult to determine where exactly mold is in your home, especially if your home is recovering from water damage.

IICRC Certified

These two reasons are why you don’t want to take a chance when it comes to locating mold in your home, and why you’ll want to bring on professionals to both target and get rid of it as soon as you believe it may be present. This means working with professionals like Total Care Restoration.

Not only do we believe in doing the most for our customers in the Miami area, but we’re also IICRC-certified. This means that we have the knowledge to know where mold may grow in your home without you noticing it. In addition, we can get rid of it to create a happier and healthier home for you and your family.

 

Kyle Haywood

About Kyle Haywood

Leave a Reply

Call Now ButtonCall Now