If a professional restoration company is called upon to help with water damage in Miami, there is a process and industry standards that will be followed to ensure the job is done right and the house or office is put back to pre-disaster conditions. [Step-by-Step Water Damage Restoration Guide]
There are common types of equipment carried by water restoration technicians. They often include detection equipment, air moving equipment, deodorization equipment, and generators.
Table of Contents
- 1 Detection Equipment: Moisture Sensors and Meters
- 2 Air Moving Equipment: Fans and Dehumidifiers
- 3 Deodorization Equipment
- 4 Ways to Keep Yourself Safe in the Event of Water Damage
- 5 Water Damage Restoration Cleanup Checklist
Detection Equipment: Moisture Sensors and Meters
Technicians use sensors and meters to determine how wet an area is. They measure and display the moisture content of floors, ceilings, walls, and other materials so the technician can decide the best way to dry them out or if they need to be torn out.
Air Moving Equipment: Fans and Dehumidifiers
Drying an area requires removing the moisture from the affected materials and also from the air. Air from a fan blowing across the surface causes water to evaporate, then a dehumidifier draws that moisture out of the air and drains it so that it can’t find its way back into the material, potentially causing further damage.
Air Scrubber: This machine removes chemicals, particles, and/or gasses from the air. Drawing in air from the surrounding space, it then forces it through numerous filters to remove contaminants that cause odor.
Foggers: These machines eliminate odors by transforming chemicals into a fog. In addition, they are also used to kill bacteria or to reduce or stop mold growth after water damage has occurred.
Thermal Foggers: These machines heat a solvent-based deodorizer that is turned into a dry smoke/fog, which is then blown into a room. Clinging to odor molecules, the vaporized cleaning solution absorbs them to rid the area of the smell. Combining a thermal fogger with cleaning is an effective way to deodorize an area.
Generators: When water damage in Miami causes the loss of power, the technicians still need a power supply. They carry generators so that the equipment has a power source to run the fans and dehumidifiers so everything can be dried to pre-damage condition.
Ways to Keep Yourself Safe in the Event of Water Damage
When Damage Is First Discovered:
- Determine what kind of water it is: clean, grey, or black. If grey or black, do not try to clean yourself. Call a professional immediately.
- Shut off the main water valve (if necessary)
- Shut off the electrical
- If water has come through the ceiling, stay out of the room until it has been determined by a professional that the structure is safe and won’t collapse
- Call a professional restoration company to assess the damage and put together a plan for mitigation
During the Damage Restoration Process:
- Keep lines of communication open with the restoration company and insurance
- Abide by rules about fans and drying equipment explained by restoration technicians
- Do not touch restoration drying equipment unless instructed to do so
Water Damage Restoration Cleanup Checklist
- Find sources of water
- Stop the water source or turn off the main water valve
- If dealing with flooring that’s not carpeted, place down towels to avoid slipping
- Contact insurance agent
- Contact water restoration company
- Remove objects impacted by the water damage, including rugs and other loose items on the floor
- Elevate or remove furniture (if possible)
- Remove excess water by blotting with towels or mopping
- Open doors and windows and turn on fans to get air circulating and the drying process started (unless mold is present, then do not turn on fans)
- Dry furniture by blotting or wiping it down
- If walls are wet, point fans directly at them to dry the water
- You may need to lift part of the carpet if the pad underneath is wet so that it will dry
- Hardwood floors and other flooring types may need to be removed if water has soaked underneath to prevent buckling
- Continue running fans until help arrives or the area is dry
At Total Care Restoration , we are available 24/7 and 365 days a year for water damage in Miami. We have experienced and skilled technicians to remediate any size job. Give us a call and we’ll get your life and your home or business back to pre-disaster condition.