How To Know If Mold In Your House Is Dangerous?
So You Found Mold At Your House Or Business
First of all, finding mold growing in your home is no small matter. It can be quite dangerous to your health if left to continue growing and untreated. There is a long list of symptoms that one can manifest from being exposed to toxic mold growing in the home or office. Allergic reactions including:
- Sneezing and coughing
- Nasal congestion
- Irritated skin
- Sore eyes
- Sinus problems
- Breathing difficulty
All of the previous are on the short list of symptoms you may notice if you are being exposed to poisonous mold spores. Are you filling any of these symptoms?
When Should You Worry?
Additionally, if you notice that these symptoms seem to disappear when you leave your home, it could be a clue to hidden mold growing. Also if multiple household members suffer from the same symptoms, it could indicate dangerous mold growth.
So if you have these types of recurring ailments and are at a loss to explain them, then inspecting your home for mold growth would be a great place to start. There are several things that can predict mold sight unseen.
Check out our article on how to prevent mold in your home.
Water Damage Can Cause Mold
If you have had water damage due to flooding or old plumbing, or other types of water leaks, musty moldy odors that get worse when the AC is on, or live in a place with high humidity, you will most likely have to check for mold at some point. Also, you will need to make sure that the water damage is mitigated, so mold doesn’t spread everywhere.
If you notice warning signs such as water stains on walls, ceilings or other surfaces, you could have a problem. In addition, peeling paint or wallpaper, rust in the home, or walls that have bowed or warped, it’s a sign that the ventilation in those areas has been compromised. And this type of water damage is almost always a precursor to mold growth.
Also, if you have a cold, damp basement with little ventilation, you could have a mold problem there as well due to unchecked condensation. Nearly any area of undetected moisture in the home can be a fertile breeding ground for toxic mold spores to thrive in. Which is why it’s a good idea to do periodic inspections around your home to make sure you are safe from exposure to the mycotoxins in mold.
What To Do When You Find Mold?
If you decide on a self directed home inspection, and find evidence of mold, don’t try and clean it up yourself. Without professional advice you could potentially be releasing millions of dangerous mycotoxins into the air.
This can expose you and your family to poisonous spores that could cause severe health problems. Even in a preliminary DIY inspection, it’s a good idea to use a mask or respirator, goggles to shield your eyes, and gloves to prevent any accidental contact with dangerous spores.
Professional Mold Remediators
Professional inspectors have an arsenal of tools and techniques at their disposal to help detect mold growth including borescopes, moisture meters, and infrared inspection. They are experienced at recognizing the subtle signs of mold growth and water damage. Sometimes even using trained canines to sniff out mold that is not visible to the naked eye.
You Will Need Advanced Tools
A moisture meter is a tool with a long narrow probe. The inspector will use the meter to detect moisture by pressing it into carpets, drywall, wood, or concrete. Also, the inspector may use borescopes which are helpful in detecting hidden mold that is growing behind walls and other surfaces.
A mold restoration expert will drill a small hole into the barrier that hides the mold and the borescope. Then the expert will insert a fiber optic probe of sorts, to look for mold on the other side. This technique helps to minimize damage to the wall or any other surface. In addition, it helps to detect the hidden mold growth.
Even though professionals have very useful tools in detecting mold growth, it’s a good idea to think of any previous history of water damage in the home. You can help point them in the right direction if you do decide to hire a professional. You will enable them to be the most efficient they can be, and you won’t have to have them come back for more repairs in the future. Professionals are trained and have the necessary tools to seal off areas of mold growth. They will need to isolate mold from the rest of the house while they clean the area.
Mold Restoration Experts
In reality, mold detection and removal can be such a large and complex job that often times putting it in the hands of qualified experts will be your best bet. Because you won’t have to worry about being exposed to the harmful mycotoxins that are found in mold. More importantly you can bypass the possibility of spreading spores around your house, causing a bigger problem down the line. When you are ready to get the job done right, give us a call. We have helped many customers with their mold restoration in Miami.
Our advanced mold restorations experts in Miami will leave you with the peace of mind that you and your family are safe.